Priming Wood Panels With Oil Grounds
A wood panel is a better painting substrate because it is less susceptible to expansion and contraction than flexible supports, like canvas. The movement of these flexible supports can result in cracks and damage to the artwork created on them.
Ampersand offers several ready to use sealed and primed panels, but for artists that prefer to prime their own painting panels, enjoy working with a natural wood texture, or need strong support for encaustic, collage, or mounting, Ampersand also offers three unprimed wood panel options: Hardbord™, Unprimed Basswood, and Birch Wood Panel.
Commonly, artists ask us if unprimed wood panels need to be sized. The answer is yes.
All raw wood panels should be sized properly before applying ground applications, regardless of whether you use acrylic polymer dispersion “gesso” or oil painting ground.
Continue Reading >>
Gessobord™ is the most trusted pre-gessoed wood panel by artists for their work. Why?
- The superior quality acrylic gesso ground does not dull colors and the wonderful lightly sanded surface provides exceptional brush control. 88% thicker gesso than other brands.
- Made with Ampersand’s 1/8″ True Artist Hardboard™ and Archiva-Seal™ technology, the surface is acid-free, non-yellowing, and archival. Perfect for all painting styles with oil paints, acrylics and mixed media.
- Only Ampersand builds their cradles by hand with premium grade 13-ply birch plywood for maximum stability and a clean, finished look from edge to edge.
- All of our Gessobord panels and the Museum series panels are made in the USA.
- Only Ampersand™ uses true high-density hardboard made from US-grown and renewable Aspen wood fibers. Gessobord is archival, eco-friendly and formaldehyde-free.
All things Ampersand,
Artist & Social Media Specialist
Ampersand Art Supply
Click here to explore the full selection of Ampersand panels and tools.